Thursday, October 21, 2010

Unexpectedly Delightful

I've been dancing tango for almost four years. My second and third years were pretty all-consumed with it; I was out between four and seven nights a week, and taking classes as well. As happens, my life in the last year has changed quite a bit. I have since developed a couple of new hobbies (Choir, Banjo), moved to full time work in addition to finishing my degree, and building a relationship with my special lady.

Changing from dancing all the time to dancing only sometimes has been hard in some ways. I get frustrated with a lack of progress in my dancing. I don't have enough tandas to dance with everyone I like, or to dance with people I might discover I like.

This makes an evening like last night particularly welcome. La Monita, the wednesday practica in Seattle, turned out to have delightful music, a good crowd of dancers, and I connected with several people I haven't had the chance to see lately.

This brought out the playful and creative side of my dancing (though not necessarily the smoothest technique, I must admit). I noticed a couple of new steps creeping in during songs. I was making a tighter right turn, hooking the right leg behind the left. I was playing with moving around an alternately pivoting lead foot. And I was (semi-)successfully focusing on new sections of the music for inspiration and emphasis. Maybe best of all, my follows were smiling at the end of our dances, and laughing during them.

What a lovely night!

No comments:

Post a Comment