Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Creativity and Expression

A friend of mine shared this lovely Milonga with me:


It is a very showy piece of dancing, not to everyone's taste, I am sure. I find it a wonderful milonga, and wish I had the creativity and control on display.

  1. As a show piece, I really like the lighting: in the background, you see their whole bodies; in the foreground, you see only knees down, making for an interesting contrast in focus. I don't know how much of that was intentional vs. a happy mistake of the available lighting, but I loved it.
  2. I am amazed at their creativity. Practically every 8 measures they change up what they are doing, displaying something new.
  3. The showy-ness does not hide underlying musicality and control. Clearly, these dancers know what they are doing (I have never met them personally, so I can't say directly). They are well connected with each other and the music.
  4. When the light shows their face -- they are smiling.  They enjoy dancing with each other, they enjoy the response of the crowd, and they enjoy the music. And that makes for a good show.
Hopefully I will someday dance a Milonga with even a small portion of that awesomeness!

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Thank you for that Brian. I love that you see the joy in this. As you say, the light shows. Also, they are elegant but do not focus on being so. They just give it up to the music and the moment, it seems....
    Nice video too, intentional or not.
    E

    ReplyDelete